Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas family times

We celebrated our immediate family Christmas on Christmas Eve this year. Nathaniel was going to be going to his Dad's house on Christmas Eve night, so we thought that during the day Christmas Eve would be our best time for our family. Last Tuesday evening, we went out to one of our favorite family restaurants and had dinner. After dinner, we went to Walmart to pick up a few groceries and stocking stuff. When we got home, it was kind of late, so we put the kids to bed, and Terry wrapped gifts. It was fun to wrap the gifts and put them under the tree. Terry and I like to keep the tree "empty" until Christmas morning, because it is fun for the kids to wake up to the awe of all the gifts under the tree. Last year, we put up the train going around the tree, but we didn't do that this year.
We didn't go crazy with things in their stocking this year. Nathaniel got his Pokemon cards, 2 hot wheel cars, and gum. Caleb got 2 hot wheels cars, Martin Matter (this has been on his wish list for a really long time~ but we accidentally bought the refill and we needed the starter kit~ who knew??), and gum. Madelyn got a mini Doodle Pro drawing pad and goldfish crackers. It was the perfect amount. We don't "do" Santa at our house, but we do like to put up stockings on the chimney and put little gifts in there.
It was fun watching the kids unwrap their gifts. Madelyn was really loving tearing off the paper, and she showed such excitement with each gift. I will upload pictures soon. Terry went to a train show today, so he has the camera (where all the pictures are).
During the day, the kids played with their new toys, and Nathaniel build his Ridemakerz car. Caleb played with his Mickey Mouse Speedway race track, and Madelyn was loving being a "momma" to her potty training dolly. Our neighbors were so sweet in bringing over a Christmas gift (crackers and chocolate), and my dear friend, Lisa, stopped over with a Christmas gift. She gave me a "We are Family" book and CD, plus a scrabble necklace that she had made. I love it! You should go see her store~ click here~ it is called Hand-Made in MN. Thank you Lisa! You are so thoughtful!
Christmas Eve night, we drove to bring Nathaniel to his Dad's. We picked up McDonald's for supper, and Caleb and Maddie were asleep. Neither one had a good nap that day, and Maddie was up at 5:45 that morning. So, they were tired.
When we got back, the kids had a sandwich, and we put them to bed. Terry and I watched a Lord of the Rings movie, and then went to bed.
Christmas Day, we went to my brother and sister-in-law's home. We celebrated my side for Christmas. My one sister and her kids weren't there (moved out of state), Nathaniel wasn't there, and one of my niece's only stayed for lunch, so it was very different this year. It was great to be with my family and have that time with them, but I definitely felt the difference and loss. We ate lunch first, then read the Christmas story. After that we opened gifts. There are so many grand kids, it is almost overwhelming watching them. My parents are great about not over-indulging them with gifts (too expensive anyway), so that is a good thing! Again, I will upload pictures when I get the camera. Of coarse, I missed a lot of pictures from that day, but I did get some.
After leaving their house at 10:00, we went over to our friend's house to visit for a bit. I fell asleep at their house, and we got home about 12:30. So, it was a late night, but a lot of fun.

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and had great times with your family and friends!

6 comments:

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Sounds like a busy couple of days Sarah!! I told my hubby after this week I just want to relax this next week before we start back at work again and get some things done. I feel so busy during this time and especially this year I am just so exhausted!!

Look at you only two weeks to go...could be less!!!!

Grandma J said...

It sounds like you had a pretty busy Christmas yourself! I need to blog about Christmas Part 2 maybe tomorrow. Sarah and Brad, Ruth and Dan were here today to celebrate.

Qtpies7 said...

I'm sorry Nathaniel couldn't be with you this year, I know that is hard for you.
I'm looking forward to pictures!

jpandtheboys said...

It's amazing how busy this time of the year is. I hope you get a chance to relax a little before your lifes gets even busier! ;) It was really fun to see you and Terry! We should go see a movie!! ;) Let me know.

Workship said...

Sounds like you had a good Christmas week. I hope you are having a restful week this week and maybe get to enjoy some just Mommy times before your sweet bundle arrives. (I can't wait to see your sweet pea!!)

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Alright I keep checking in to see if there is anything going on with you labor wise!!! :-) were you early, late or on time with your other kiddos??