Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What is it with boys~

Caleb has been so obsessed with his God-given "unit" lately. I am not going to use the proper term, because it is private. I do use the correct term for his "unit" even though it makes Terry squirm. Terry informed me that he was down in the basement with Caleb the other night. He plays down there while Terry works on his model train layout. He wasn't really watching him, because he probably would have stopped him before Caleb said this.
Caleb: "Dad, my p*nis is big."
Dad: "What?"
Caleb: "My p*nis is big."
Dad: "Caleb, get your hands out of there! You shouldn't be doing that."
Caleb: "Why?"
Dad: "You shouldn't do that because it can make you sick."

Seriously, why do they have to do this? His Dad was right...it can make him sick in two ways...
health-wise, and mentally. He should be free to know his body and explore, but there needs to be a limit. How do I teach this without making him afraid, or ashamed of his body that God created?
Even today, and most times I change his diaper lately, he wants to get his hands involved. I tell him not to touch, because I am changing his diaper, and I don't want his hands dirty. There are a lot of germs in there. So, I tell him to put his hands on his head. Later today, he said, "Put my hands on my pe..." and he didn't finish, because I said, "no...on your head."

PLEASE help! I don't remember going through this with Nathaniel. What is the teaching angle on this one, that is done in a godly manner? I also have Nathaniel, who is nearing puberty and those ackward teen years. Any advice? Any good books on these topics?

5 comments:

Milk Mama said...

LOL that's hilarious! My 12 year old autistic nephew always has his hands down his pants. It feels good and he doesn't know any better. I'm sure that's the same with Caleb, he doesn't know that it can be an icky thing to do. I'm sorry, I don't know anything to say. I know my other nephew was interested in his "unit" for a while, but he quickly outgrew it.

Qtpies7 said...

I think I'd smack Terry upside the head, lol. THAT is more damaging than him experimenting. I'd just let him know it isn't a toy, it is for going potty right now. Toys are for playing with, that is for potty time.
Let him know it is private and that outside of bathtime and diaper changes, noone needs to see it.

I've heard experts say to tell them they need to do that in their room, but I don't really agree with that philosophy.

Marcia said...

Gosh I'm glad I have a little girl! I have younger cousins that had phases with this. I think it's just that they don't understand until they're at a certain developmental stage that it isn't something they're supposed to do. I'm not sure other than explaining it to him over and over that we don't do those things.

Best of luck with that!!

Sassyfrazz said...

I don't agree with that. I don't think Terry said anything damaging. I don't think Caleb should do that either.

Anonymous said...

I say check with Dobson...I have his book "Bringing up Boys" if you want to borrow it...I have not had time to read it but will lend it to you if you want to check it out. I don't think at this age that they really know what they are doing...Charlie likes to play with it in the bathtub but usually leaves it alone.