Friday, July 18, 2008

Boys~

Last night, Nathaniel had his friend over for a sleepover. This boy is a good friend of Nathaniel's. They met in school last year, and they were in the same class. They had a good time playing video games, feeding a snapping turtle, chasing each other outside, and talking until late last night. I won't have anymore sleepovers on a week night (even in the summer), because how late they kept talking. Terry has to be up at 4:30 A.M., so he wasn't happy with the late chatter.
This boy is somewhat rude. I have a problem with that. I also have a problem with Nathaniel hanging out with someone that displays rude behavior. Mind you, I know boys will be boys, and some of the actions go with age, but I still don't appreciate it. Caleb really looks up to his older brother, and he wants to do everything he does. He wants to be where he is, and play with him and his friends. Last night at the dinner table, Caleb was saying (Nathaniel's friend's name) over and over. Well, "C" refused to answer him, and he outright ignored him. Over and over he ignored him. Terry finally said, "Hey "C", I have noticed that you ignore Caleb when he is talking to you, please don't do that." Then, "C" said, "OK."
Well, this morning, as I was getting breakfast going, Caleb was trying to get "C's" attention again...over and over he said his name. Finally, I snapped. I said, "C" will you stop ignoring him? It is really rude!" Then, a bit later, I confronted Nathaniel about it. I told him that Caleb really just wants to fit in, and be apart of the group. I said it is rude for his friend to ignore his brother, and he really should say something when he sees him doing that. I said that I will try to keep Caleb occupied, for the most part, because I know they need their time together, too. He agreed.

I am not so sure I look forward to all the "kinds" of friends my children may bring home.

2 comments:

Qtpies7 said...

Oh, how fun. We've had some pretty rude friends of the kids' too. One group of Cody's friends opened his second story window and started throwing things out. Things like pillows, blankets and even a radio. Just because. No, they have not been asked back.

Gretchen said...

The way kids treat younger children is truly a sign of the way they'll be when they're older. So sad for your little one to be treated that way. :(