Friday, June 20, 2008

Family reunion

Last Saturday, we had a family get-together for my Dad's side of the family. We rarely get together with that side of the family anymore, and it was great to connect for a family picnic. We used to get together every Memorial Weekend when I was younger. I really miss that connection, and that camping weekend to look forward to. One of my Dad's 7 sisters planned this fun picnic day. I had mentioned something to her last year about our family getting together at least once a year. I just don't have the space to host it at my house. Otherwise, I would be all for hosting the event here. Anyway, it was a fun day! My cousin was here from Washington, and she planned fun events for the kids. There was an egg on the spoon race, a find the peanuts in the field hunt, a hoola-hoop contest, a bubble blowing contest...and more. She even had prizes for the kids. When people first arrived we were all given a sheet of paper with scavenger hunt questions on it. Some of the questions were: (1) What is uncle Chester's favorite meal? (2) How many children does Marie have? (3) Who is the youngest person at the party?
This question was tricky, because both my sister-in-law and I am pregnant, so we didn't know if that counted or not....it didn't, but Maddie was the youngest one there. It was a fun day, and the weather was great! It got chilly in the evening, and the mosquitoes came out. Wouldn't you know it, I was totally unprepared. I didn't bring extra clothes, a blanket, jammies, or nothing. WE ARE IN MN!! Hello?? You would think I would be more prepared. Usually I am over-prepared, but this time, I just didn't plan. A storm rolled in that evening, too, so we were stranded there for a bit due to the strong winds.

Oh, and on the way to the picnic...
Caleb was looking out the window. He said, "That is a funny house! It looks like an ice cream house!" Terry looked back at him, and said, "Oh, Caleb, that is a Silo." Isn't that funny?? Actually, the Silos do look a bit like an ice cream cone! :)

I was so happy! That morning, my Mom and I were talking on the phone, and she told me that my brother and his wife are expecting their number 2 child. She is due only about 2 weeks after me! How fun is that? Their daughter is a little over a year younger than Caleb. They told people that they may only have one child. Personally, I think every child needs a sibling, but it is their choice~ no, really it is God's choice. BUT~I am happy to hear that they want to add to their family!

4 comments:

Qtpies7 said...

Sounds like fun, except for not being prepared! It is so much fun to be sharing a due date with your sister, I loved it! I was close to both my sister and Donnie's sister at the same time, and I just love it!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you need to consider that your brother -- and others -- may tell people that they may only have one child because that appears to them to *be* God's choice. Siblings aren't necessarily something you can pick up at the grocery store. :)

The family reunion sounds fun -- we had one a few years ago, and were supposed to have one this year, but it fell through.

Gretchen said...

We haven't had a family reunion in years and I do miss seeing all my cousins. The older generation is being lost and so is all that history!

jpandtheboys said...

What a fun day. I love the questions, what a great way to get to know your family better.
Yeah for Jen and Dave. I thought that I might only have one child after Brody was born but I also knew I needed to give it time. I can imagine why people decide to have just one.
I am hoping that we will have a family reunion soon. I would love to see my family it's been over 10 years since I have seen some of them. :( Love you honey.