Monday, December 21, 2009

Munchkin Math

Counting money can be so fun for kids, and sometimes it can be tricky for them to learn the different coins, monetary values, and how to make change. Munchkin Math DVD's are a great way to introduce your child(ren) to counting money. I was sent a Counting Money! DVD from Munchkin Math to review, and my kids enjoyed the interactive DVD. The video has kids in it, and whenever kids are in videos, it draws my kid's attention. Wendy Miller, creator of Munchkin Math, is the hostess on this DVD. Wendy teaches catchy phrases, songs, and hand movements to help kids retain the information about dollars and cents. Counting Money! covers the value of each coin and math concepts. One of the fun things kids get to do in the DVD is build the "Money Worm" with counting the money. Munchkin Math DVD's use auditory, visual and kinesthetic styles to help children learn and hopefully retain what they learn. I thought this DVD was simplistic, and geared more toward young children. This may be a great home school product to use, with teaching/introducing money.
Munchkin Math has other DVD titles, too: Telling Time & Shapes. SRP$19.99.

I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Munchkin Math and received a sample DVD to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.”

1 comment:

TopazTook said...

When you say "young children," do you mean preschoolers, or early elementary age?

We plan to start our daughter on an allowance at age four (next summer), but I know she doesn't really have a grasp of counting money at this point.