Thursday, November 12, 2009

Halloween around here...

We didn't really know what to do this year with Halloween. It really depends on the weather here in MN, but this year wasn't too bad for temperature. We spent the morning at home doing different things that needed to be done. Here are a few photos that I took a few days before Halloween. My kids love dressing up, and it is (almost) a daily fun activity for them.

Madelyn is in her purple unicorn outfit. She got this costume from my friend, Lisa, from a garage sale special find. It is so warm and cozy, and Madelyn loves it!
Here is Nathaniel in the pirate hat, and one of his new favorite shirts from Terry. (hand-me-down)
Cole is wearing the Jo-Jo hat. I know it is a girl's hat in the show, but it looks cute on him!

After that, we helped some friends move to their new home. We got home about 5:30, and our kids were tired. However, they still wanted to go treat-hunting. We had considered bringing them to a local church party (games, outdoor petting zoo, outdoor blow up jumpy-thingy...etc.) but we had come home too late for that. We got the kids in their costumes, and went to a local neighborhood.
Cole was super happy that night, and he was in a warm costume as Pooh Bear. I have to say that I was excited about this find...$1.25 at Savers! That was a great deal, and he can now play "dress-up" with the kids.
Isn't he a cute little Pooh Bear? Caleb and Madelyn had a lot of fun, too. They picked out their duds.
Caleb was a jester/clown and Madelyn was the "itsy, bitsy spider." Maddie's costume was a little too small, but she insisted that she wore that one. We did hand-me-down costume attire this year.

The owner of this home was all dressed up as Princess Leia, from Star Wars. I thought her costume was superb!

It was a fun night out with the little ones. Nathaniel was with his dad this year. I am not sure how it worked out, but he has only been at his dad's one other Halloween in his life. Nathaniel had wanted to be with us this year because his best friend was going to have his birthday party/celebration. But, his dad said no, because he wanted to have him for trick-or-treating after all these years. I really had no clue that it was that important to his dad, or I would have offered to make it work out for him to be able to have that time with Nathaniel. Nothing I can do about that now. At least he had a good time.

The kids had so much fun, and enjoyed walking around in their costume. It was fun to hear them saying the 'ol phrase, and then thanking the home owner. After about 15 homes, the kids were getting tired and cold. So, we packed them up and headed home. In the car, I had smelt something...so I asked Terry, "Did you give the kids candy?" He said he didn't, and then he asked the kids...

Terry: "Are you guys eating candy?"
Caleb: "I'm not eating any."
Madelyn: "I am!" (Have to love her honesty there!) ~LOL

We get home and Madelyn had about 4 wrappers/candy around her. It was pretty funny.We started to undress the kids from their costumes and get them in their jammies when the doorbell rings and knocks come on the front door. I had turned our outside light off, and it was evident we were not participating in the giveaway. Still the middle-school age kids lingered, so I hollered that we weren't handing any candy out. They left. Terry told me to just stay out of sight while he put the kids to bed. So, our house was completely black. I was in the basement talking to my aunt. About 10 minutes go by, and we get another banging on the door. I wait. Then, more banging. Seriously? I couldn't believe that they knocked the first time, but 2 times? So, I head up stairs, and call for Terry. I hear the kids laughing and talking loud. So, not only did they rudely go to a dark home, knock 2 TIMES!~ they hang out waiting...loitering! So, Terry opened the door and told them to go. I was furious to say the least. I can't believe how rude their behavior was. Anyway, the kids had fun, and I wanted to share the photos.

8 comments:

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Sounds like a fun and busy night sarah!! I love the itty bitty spider costume, too cute! So funny that she was just eating her candy away so freely, what a cutie she is!! Love your older sons shirt, that is too funny! I love it. I can understand about the dad thing...I went through that as a child too...sometimes its really hard!! You handle yourself so well! Love all the pics!

Nikki said...

Your kids look adorable in their costumes!

Susan said...

Hi Sarah!
Cute costumes! We have the same Pooh suit! :) That reminds me, I haven't posted my pics yet from Halloween!

Qtpies7 said...

Maddie is so cute in that purple costume! I'm glad it fits her.

You are probably lucky those kids didn't play tricks on you, lol. That would be frustrating to say the least, though. We haven't had many problems with people coming to our door with the lights out. But they have never been that persistant.

TopazTook said...

Cute Halloween pix -- particularly the Pooh bear! What our neighborhood did was leave out a big container with a note "out trick or treating- take 2" or "as many as you want." (I should have done that, but didn't.) Another thought for next year is to go to a nursing home. One in our suburb does trick or treating for a couple of hours in the afternoon, partly because it's such fun for the elderly to see the kids in costume.

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

love the jo jo hat I'm glad the middle schoolers' lack of creativity limited their trickiness to just another knock haha

Milk Mama said...

It's good to hear from you again, Sarah! I can't believe how big your babies have gotten! Is that really Cole?! And is that really Madelyn?! Goodness gracious! Beautiful children! I hope that you're doing well, my dear! :)

Gretchen said...

Love the costumes! :)