Monday, May 18, 2009

Recovering

I would like to thank all those who have lifted me up in prayer over the last few weeks. It has been quite the journey, so far, with my news of having Melanoma (skin cancer). It is a scary thing hearing that I have skin cancer. I know that my Lord has everything under control, He has a plan for me, and a plan through what I am experiencing.
My surgery was scheduled for Thursday morning. I had to be there at 9:30 for preparations/paper work/tests. I had to due a urine test for pregnancy, and (Whew....) it came back negative. (not that I was worried). :) I asked them if they had to forgo surgery for people with the tests coming back a surprising positive. She said that has happened. I am glad I wasn't one of those folks. Anyway, I answered a few medical questions, took my weight, and got in my beautiful paper gown. The gown was a high-tech gown with flaps and holes. I had a hose put in one of the holes and the heat turned on. How cool is that? It was like an inside paper gown heater. Weird. Then, I got the IV inserted. The nurse put on the rubber band and slapped my hand for about 10 minutes to get the vein to pop up. I don't have veins that like to cooperate with needles. She had success with the IV, and started the fluids. Then the anesthesiologist came in to ask a few more questions. We found out we have something in common...busy family life. His wife and him are expecting #4 baby in October. The surgeon came in next and asked me more questions, and answered my questions. He also asked me if I was used to coffee in the morning, and experienced head aches if I didn't have coffee. I said that I drank about 4-5 cups every morning, even through pregnancies. So, kindly enough, they gave me 500 ml of caffeine in my IV. How sweet is that? They said they didn't want me having a nasty head ache from withdrawal. :) Hee ha...whatever works for me!

I had to use the restroom one more time, and went on my way to the operating room. Can I just say I was scared out of my mind? I kept thinking of them giving me too much sleep meds and not waking back up. Crazy thought, I know, but it is one of the many things I was worried about.

I laid on the table (uncomfortable table) and laid my arms out like a T. The Dr.s strapped and wrapped my arms and legs, then they snugged my arms close to my side. I had pressure cuffs on my arms and legs to help with the circulation. I was talking to the nurses and Dr.'s about the geese and the Blue Heron on our lake. Then they asked me how old were my kids. Here is what I think I said:

"I have a 10 1/2 year old, an almost 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a 4 year old. Oh wait, he isn't 4 years he is an infant. You must have given me the meds because I feel all funny now. My baby is only 4 months....." And that is all I remember. When I woke up, I was trying desperately to roll over to get off my back. They kept pushing my legs down and asked if I was alright. I told them NO, and that my back was really hurting. They asked how much on a scale, and I said an 8 or 9. I have a high pain tolerance, though. I think they gave me some morphine, because some pain was relieved. I spent about 30-45 minutes in recovery, then they put me in another room for Stage 2 recovery (sitting in a chair). I was so thirsty! I kept asking for water, and they only gave me 2 glasses. They didn't want me getting sick.

I was a bit sleepy afterward, and slept on and off on the way home. I was wrapped up in a head wrap. I needed to keep on the wraps until Saturday.

We stopped by my parents to give them an update. The rest of the day I rested, and ate some food. Sleeping that night wasn't too bad, just sore. I did end up nursing Cole when I got home. The meds didn't seem to bother him. He did develop a rash on his cheeks and his stomach. We aren't sure if that was from the 2 bottles of Enfamil, or from one of the meds I had. Fortunately, I don't think I will need to give him anymore formula. I am so glad that Cole did OK without me for those hours of surgery and recovery.

I got Vicodin for pain relief, and that has been a big help. Sleeping has been interesting. I get really sore from laying just on my left side. I will post a picture of what my ear looks like now. It is really swollen, and smaller than what it was. The Surgeon took out less than what he was originally thinking. I am glad for that. He said that my ear is clear from the Melanoma now. I am so thankful! I am suppose to go back to the clinic on Wed., and he will possibly remove the stitches (if all is well). I am hoping things will heal quickly. Tonight my ear is pretty sore, but I don't have any pain meds in me yet.

Thanks again for all the prayers! I ask for continued prayer for any other moles taken off to be cancer free. I also pray for quick, and beautiful healing of my ear. I will be seeing an Oncologist next week for follow up visits. Then, I will see my Dermatologist again in July.

8 comments:

TopazTook said...

Glad the surgery seems to have gone well and that Cole is coping well. Continuing to pray for you.

jonebug said...

Thanks for the update, you have been on my mind a lot lately!!

Grandma J said...

I was amazed to see how well your ear looked when you showed it to us on Sunday. I will definitely keep praying for you, for healing and for continued health. Praise the Lord that the surgeon got it all!!

Anonymous said...

praying for you friend! Hugs to you....

Milk Mama said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah! I'm so sorry you had to go through this! I'm so glad that you're safe and healthy!

Jeff and Mandee said...

So happy to hear that everything has gone so well, and I hope all the following updates are just as great! You and your family are still in my prayers.

Qtpies7 said...

Sarah! I'm so glad your ear looks so good! And I am beyond greatful that you are cancer free!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Hey Sarah!

I just wanted to say hi and see how you are doing!! I hope you are healing well and having a fabulous weekend too!