Sunday, October 12, 2008

FIREPROOF Your Marriage!











Terry and I went to the movie Fireproof last night. It was an amazing movie! I can honestly say that I think it is the best movie I have ever seen! I was laughing and crying...even to the point of bawling! The movie has such a powerful message. I think it is a must see for all those who are married~especially! I think that the producers did an amazing job with this movie.
This is what the movie is about:
At work, inside burning buildings, Capt. Caleb Holt (Kirk Cameron) lives by the old firefighter's adage: Never leave your partner behind. At home, in the cooling embers of his marriage, he lives by his own rules. Growing up, Catherine Holt (Erin Bethea) always dreamed of marrying a loving, brave firefighter...just like her daddy. Now, after seven years of marriage, Catherine wonders when she stopped being "good enough" for her husband. Regular arguments over jobs, finances, housework, and outside interests have readied them both to move on to something with more sparks.
As the couple prepares to enter divorce proceedings, Caleb's father challenges his son to commit to a 40-day experiment: "The Love Dare." Wondering if it's even worth the effort, Caleb agrees-for his father's sake more than for his marriage. When Caleb discovers the book's daily challenges are tied into his parents' newfound faith, his already limited interest is further dampened. While trying to stay true to his promise, Caleb becomes frustrated time and again. He finally asks his father, "How am I supposed to show love to somebody who constantly rejects me?" When his father explains that this is the love Christ shows to us, Caleb makes a life-changing commitment to love God. And with God's help he begins to understand what it means to truly love his wife. But is it too late to fireproof his marriage? His job is to rescue others. Now Caleb Holt is ready to face his toughest job ever...rescuing his wife's heart.

B & H Publishing Group (a division of LifeWay) decided to publish The Love Dare and that LifeWay Church Resources will be publishing a small group curriculum in early 2009 that will be out the same time the Fireproof DVD will release. I think this will be a great for churches and groups to do this study! Can you imagine the help resource this could be for marriages?

*The Love Dare book that was written by Steven and Alex Kendrick. Here are the basics ..."The Love Dare is a 40-day guided devotional experience that will lead your heart back to truly loving your spouse while learning more about the design, nature, and source of true love. Each reading includes Scripture, a statement of principle, the day’s 'dare,' and a journaling area and check box to chart progress."In the introduction to The Love Dare, the authors lay out the three elements of each chapter.
First, a unique aspect of love will be discussed. Read each of these carefully and be open to a new understanding of what it means to genuinely love someone.
Second, you will be given a specific dare to do for your spouse. Some will be easy and some very challenging. But take each dare seriously, and be creative and courageous enough to attempt it. Don’t be discouraged if outside situations prevent you from accomplishing a specific dare. Just pick back up as soon as you can and proceed with the journey.
Last, you will be given journal space to log what you are learning and doing and how your spouse is responding. It is important that you take advantage of this space to capture what is happening to both you and your mate along the way. These notes will record your progress and should become priceless to you in the future. (*copied from a Pastor's Blog)

I suggest to all of you to watch this movie!! It isn't in all movie theaters. We drove over a half an hour to the closest theater to us! Trust me, it was well worth the drive! Plus, it helps fund the ministry behind the movie! I think this would be a super movie for churches to show to their congregations!

7 comments:

Mandy said...

I work in a Christian bookstore and this book, as well as Love Dare, is flying off the shelves. I always like to read the books before I see the movies and I'm halfway done. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

Grandma J said...

That really does sound like a great movie! I had heard someone on tv talking about it a week or so ago. I was thinking then that I'd like to see it, but then I forgot about it until Pastor Chad brought it up this morning.

If you'd like to see what the inside of our "new" house looks like, I have posted a virtual tour of it on my blog. Check it out.

jpandtheboys said...

It sounds like a great movie! My mom is coming and staying with us for a week, maybe Don and I will get to on a date!! :)

Amy Clary said...

My husband and I went to see this movie at a nearby theater on opening day. I thought it was soooooo great and made such a strong point.
The only thing frustrating is that when I was done crying about one thing, I would start crying about another...and I didn't have any kleenex. :)

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

I have heard nothing but great things about this movie! When it comes out, Ryan and I are going to netflix it to see. I also hear its great for people whose marriages are on the rocks. Thanks for sharing this!

Qtpies7 said...

Donnie really wants to go see it. I guess we could try to get there next week. He's going hunting on until next week!

Anonymous said...

I have not gone to see this yet but we are thinking about going Friday night. I have heard nothing but great things about this movie and can't wait to go and see it.
While waiting in the orthodontist today I was reading an exerpt about this movie and Kirk Cameron said that on the kissing scene it is actually Chelsey (his wife) he is kissing and not the actual actress.